Wednesday 30 May 2012

My first CISV camp

It all started during the last few weeks of school. I was online in facebook when suddenly a friend of mine messaged me and said that I should join this camp called Camp Fiesta. As I  was opening the Infopack i suddenly felt the need to go to the camp. Haha! I know it sounds desperate but hey, kids just wanna have fun! Anyways, I ran to my parents, and asked them if I could go. At first they thought it was a bad idea because they thought I wouldn't be able to take care of myself which was kind of true. Hehe! But eventually after days of nagging and convincing, they finally said yes. The day after, that I got an email from one of the facilitators that there were no more slots for kids. I was sad of course cause I really wanted to go.

A few days passed and I totally forgot about it, then suddenly my phone rang and I got an email. My face brightened up as I read the message saying that there was room for a few more kids! I was the happiest person in the world. I was jumping up and down my bed, and yes, I fell off. So school was over and I began crossing out the days left before Camp fiesta. After days and days of waiting it finally came! I was all packed up and ready to go.  When I to the waiting station I noticed all the other bags were small compared to mine. Then I felt embarrassed cause it looked like I packed clothes good enough for me to move out! So them I said my goodbyes to my mother and I boarded the bus. At first I sat alone because I didn't know anyone there. Minutes passed then suddenly the girls beside me start telling their friend to accompany me. I must thank them for that because if it weren't for them I would have died of boredom on the bus. We shared jokes and smiles and random stories to keep us busy. We finally arrive at this beautiful resort and I was so excited, it's like I wanted to run around and do cartwheels even if I had no idea how to. We had a lot of activities on the first day and I was able to meet a lot of new friends and believe me it was hard trying to memorize their names. As recall there were four of us girls with almost the same name but eventually I was able to remember all.


 I loved all the activities but the one I loved most was Dead bodies. It was probably the funniest of them all.  My favorite part of the day would probably be the Lullabies because hearing the sound of everyone's voices singing in harmony gave me butterflies. Hehe! On the third day, we had a fiesta! It was a blast! It was probably the most fun i've had in a long time. Of all the days, this was my favorite because it made me realize something. After I singing for the talent show, I was given many compliments for my voice. But in the past, I was told differently. That's why I'd like to thank my camp mates and facilitators because they taught me to reach for my dream and never give up until I've finally got a hold of it. Because of them I continued something I thought I'd never be able to do. Because of them I believed in myself. That someone like me can be Someone and do Something. Thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

On the last day, it was quite sad because we knew we had to part ways and go back to our daily lives. I'll admit I even cried. Not because I was sad, but because I was happy  and thankful it happened. It was a pleasure being a part of Camp Fiesta. I was able to meet new friends and it changed my way of thinking and it changed me as a person. It changed me for the better. Camp Fiesta truly was the best four days of my life. Believe me when I say I'd give anything to have it back, for words cannot describe the joy this camp has given me.  

- Isabel Villar
Manila, Philippines 

No comments:

Post a Comment